Writer’s Workshop:  First Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season

Remember how I’ve been so excited for fall for the past few weeks? Well, that’s because for a solid week or so, we were having overcast skies, rain/storms, and, most importantly, high temps in the mid-to-upper 80s. Low temps in the 60s. You know, it seemed like fall was on its way. But in true Southern fashion, this week is a new week, and it is summer once again. So I decided to try to summon autumn by having my first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season, which is also one of the prompts for Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop this past week:

What I wanted to do was make this delish-sounding recipe for a super-creamy, keto/paleo, gluten-free pumpkin spice latte. Since I’m between paychecks and using only ingredients I have on hand, I went totally dirty keto: I brewed up some extra strong instant coffee, poured in about 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, a splash of coconut milk, and stevia to taste. Then I iced it, because, you know…it’s hot. The verdict? It wasn’t bad. I’m not a huge PSL fan, so I will probably stick to my spiced vanilla latte from here on out. On the other hand, I can’t stand not having created a great-tasting dirty keto PSL, so we shall see about that.

And isn’t the vintage Thermo-Serv tumbler just fantastic? I’ve passed these up in thrift stores many, many times, but I’ve suddenly decided to start collecting them. They’re retro-riffic, durable (Thermo-Serv is still around and making quality products here in the USA!), and a must for my lakeside cabin in the woods. Never mind that I currently do not have a lakeside cabin in the woods; I’m working on it! It’s part of my (hopefully no longer than) five year plan! And until then? They’ll definitely do for camping!

Mama’s Losin’ It

Writer’s Workshop: First Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season

8 thoughts on “Writer’s Workshop: First Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season

• October 7, 2018 at 5:56 PM

No pumpkin spice latte yet here but I hope to correct that issue before too long. I make ours using a dark roast coffee (whatever’s on hand) and a teaspoon or two of pumpkin spice coffee syrup and top with Readi Whip extra creamy whipped topping. It’s better than Starbucks and a fraction of the cost. It’s a bit too warm to snuggle with a cup of coffee in the evenings but change IS coming. I hope to see you on the dance floor tomorrow! 😉

• October 7, 2018 at 9:53 PM

I will definitely be out on the dance floor tomorrow – later tonight if I can find the linky anywhere before I head to bed!

I had to have my PSL over ice because it’s so warm here still. It wasn’t too bad considering it was just a spur-of-the-moment thing to show off my Thermo-Serv tumbler, and to be able to participate in Mama Kat’s Workshop! I need to start referring to the master list, too, so that I can plan my posts accordingly – the prompts go up Tuesday, and I don’t get to participate if I don’t get a post saved that night, because I work a double on Wednesday and just can’t do it that night after work.

I also need to find some syrups, or recipes for homemade coffee syrups. The powdered spices just don’t mix as well as the liquids.

• October 8, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Love it and love the idea of summoning the weather with a drink! Does that mean if I continue drinking Coronas with lime, I can keep summer going (and more importantly, stave off winter)? Asking for a friend…

Deb

• October 8, 2018 at 7:45 PM

Tell your friend I don’t see why not? Sure, it may not work. But at least you – I mean, your friend – can keep a little bit of summer going when it starts to get cooler.

• October 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Ohhh, PSL…one of my absolute favs!

I’m so ready for Fall and anxious to put aside all the worldly debates, at least until next year!

Like you, it seems like I’m last-minute with getting my prompt responses out. I have all the best intentions, have the list, make notes, etc., etc., etc., and it all hits me in the middle of the night. But, hey, that’s when I’m usually at my creative best.

Or so I think.

• October 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM

I lag so far behind….Tuesdays are hard for me to write the posts as the prompts have just come out, and Wednesday it is nigh to impossible. But I still love participating and do the best I can right now.

I’m a natural insomniac sometimes (used to be all the time), and I always did my best writing then. As for creative endeavors, early mornings and afternoons work best for me for projects – and as I’m a late sleeper on my days off, that might explain why so few of my physical projects ever see completion.

• October 8, 2018 at 9:40 PM

The tumbler is adorable and perfect for PSLs in a lakeside cabin. The fact that you actually own the tumbler just means you are one step closer to realizing this dream than I am! 🙂

• October 8, 2018 at 10:20 PM

That’s a great way to look at it! I need to kick this dream into high gear….somehow.