Hello, 2018, you brand-spanking shiny new year, you! (Even though it’s mid-January, and this is my first post all. year. long.)
My “new” year doesn’t really feel like it starts until the Spring Equinox, and the period between the end of December of the previous year and then is what usually feels more like a hibernation to me. I am caught somewhere between just embracing my weird ways of hibernating and putting off the “new” year till spring and being more proactive in turning a new leaf when everyone else does (in January).
I need to get from this situation:
To this one:
I feel that I am off to a great start. The only real reason I’ve neglected the blog until now is because I had gotten pretty sick. I had been fighting something off and on for a while, then finally succumbed around New Year’s Day. After suffering (allergies – thank goodness not the deadly flu that’s going around!) for a week and then finally running out of the Advair I take to control my asthma, I caved and went to Urgent Medcare last Friday. I know that’s no excuse for the week that followed, but things fall apart when you get sick, so I chose recovery, self care, and getting caught up as best I can on neglected housework over diving into blog posts.
I figure instead of using January-March as a period of hibernation, I can use it as a period of preparation instead. In order for me to be more awesome than last year, I need to:
- Get a jump on spring cleaning. Also to flu-proof my home as best I can.
- This will allow me to get my home organized, take stock of what I’ve got and what I need, and get my home ready for the all the diy projects I always keep planned for every year, but never follow through on because the house is too messy and I can’t find all the things I need to complete the projects.
- Keep meal prepping and cooking as often as I can. Which will allow me to do two things:
- Get my weight under control. When I was weighed at the doctor’s, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I’m now about twenty pounds lighter than I started 2017. I’d like to continue that by having meals and healthy-ish snacks already prepared!
- Help my budget out a bit. The more prepped meals I have on hand, the less likely we are to grab fast food or order pizza – things that will bust both a budget and healthier diet if not done in moderation!
- Get repair people in here. I do intend to do any and every home improvement and repair project myself that I possibly can. But some of that just isn’t going to be possible. Plus, I’m thinking I want propane heat by this time next year. It would be nice to not have to rely on space heaters for warmth, and I refuse to fix our central heat and air yet again.
- Get this little blog off the ground. But that’s a post in and of itself.
- Get #aristotlethepitpup enrolled in obedience training.
There are literally a thousand other things I should be doing, but this is enough of a starter to keep me busy for probably the entire two months. Because it’s only about two months and a week till spring!