I’ve only been gone for three weeks, but it feels like much longer than that. My apologies to Patrick for not participating in all the themes he chose for the month of March. They were amazing themes, but I only got around to one. If you’re just here for Music Monday, then you can just scroll past the bullet list and head right into it!
The saying for March is “in like a lion, out like a lamb.” March definitely came in like a lion for me! And that lion stayed ALL THE WAY to the end, with only a few short lamb moments. You see, what happened was…
(in bullet form)
The bad (which is still going on, but had better slow it down and quick!)
- My car – yes, the six year old car I just bought in January – had total transmission failure. And the only way I could fix it was to get a used transmission, which will likely also fail around the 100K mark on the odometer.
- My car has been in the shop for two weeks now, during which time I have been driving my trusty old Beetle (thank you so much for continuing to help me out, girl! I promise I’m going to bump you back to part time as soon as I am able!). If you remember, my Beetle has no heat and no ac, and in the two weeks it’s been driven, I could have really used both.
- Also during this two weeks, my oldest son’s car has also quit. We think it’s the transmission on that one, too, but aren’t sure. He’s been having to have me take him back and forth to work for the past two weekends, and next weekend isn’t looking so good, either.
- Friday as I was coming home from dropping him off at work, the Beetle’s oil light began flashing. I had to stop at a store which, as it turns out, was right across the street from where someone got shot Tuesday. Luckily, I was able to just put oil in it and that took care of it, though it’s getting serviced next week.
- Last night, my youngest son’s van ran hot. Thank goodness it just needed a top-off of coolant, but he thinks there might be a slow leak somewhere and is looking into getting it fixed ASAP.
Can we be done with car trouble now, pretty please? On that note, I am done with Subaru, and definitely done with any vehicle that has a CV transmission. Fuck CVTs, for real. And? I will absolutely have a stroke if our run of bad luck doesn’t stop. It’s screwed me up and stressed me out to the point where I could barely function the first week after I learned I’d need to fork over more than a grand for a used transmission. I would break down sobbing without warning, couldn’t sleep at night, and when I did I had the most stressful dreams. Even though I was awake – a LOT – I couldn’t keep my thoughts or emotions straight, and thus my absence here. All that to say that…
- I have spent many, many mindless hours binge-watching some great shows, namely Velvet and Velvet Coleccion. I don’t understand much Spanish, but since I’m nearly deaf I have to have the captions anyway – so I was able to still follow along! It was like Mad Men, but with fashion and set in Spain instead of advertising and set in New York City. Visually stunning.
- On the 22nd, The Dirt came out, and since then I’ve been watching this movie like it’s my job and the rent is past due! Here is my review in a nutshell: I was worried this was going to be a huge shit show, but I’m so glad I was wrong. The kid they got to play Nikki was absolutely gorgeous! Machine Gun Kelly was fantastic as Tommy Lee, and congrats, MGK, for you are my cougar crush for at least the next few weeks! I may have been in love with Nikki in real life from ages 13-20, but Mick was my favorite character in the movie. ALL the actors (not just the ones who played the band) portrayed their characters perfectly. Having said that, I wish they had done more to make “Vince” look like Vince. That guy was a great actor, but all I saw when I watched him was Dana Carvey as Garth in Wayne’s World. Lastly, whatever their manager made off them, it wasn’t enough.Have you seen The Dirt yet? What are your thoughts?
- I have decided that after over 20 years without a car payment, I am trading this Subaru in on something as soon as I can. I no longer have any confidence in this car, but I poured all the money I had into just buying, and now fixing, it. So….I’m a bit stressed out about that, but I will be buying the newest Toyota, Honda, or Mazda I can afford, with the fewest miles I can find, and NO CVT TRANSMISSION!!
‘April showers bring May flowers’ (songs about spring, rain, flowers, or even actual showers where you get clean. Do your thang with it!)
We all know how much I love rain! Here are three of my favorite songs about rain/with “rain” in the title:
Queensryche – “Another Rainy Night”
Supertramp – “It’s Raining Again”
Led Zeppelin – “Fool In The Rain”
I can’t wait to see the selections everyone else chose! And I hope April is nowhere near as stressful as March was. Have a great week, people!