March Wrap-Up and Music Monday for 04.01.2019

I’ve only been gone for three weeks, but it feels like much longer than that. My apologies to Patrick for not participating in all the themes he chose for the month of March. They were amazing themes, but I only got around to one. If you’re just here for Music Monday, then you can just scroll past the bullet list and head right into it!

The saying for March is “in like a lion, out like a lamb.” March definitely came in like a lion for me! And that lion stayed ALL THE WAY to the end, with only a few short lamb moments. You see, what happened was…

(in bullet form)

The bad (which is still going on, but had better slow it down and quick!)

• My car – yes, the six year old car I just bought in January – had total transmission failure. And the only way I could fix it was to get a used transmission, which will likely also fail around the 100K mark on the odometer.
  • My car has been in the shop for two weeks now, during which time I have been driving my trusty old Beetle (thank you so much for continuing to help me out, girl! I promise I’m going to bump you back to part time as soon as I am able!). If you remember, my Beetle has no heat and no ac, and in the two weeks it’s been driven, I could have really used both.
  • Also during this two weeks, my oldest son’s car has also quit. We think it’s the transmission on that one, too, but aren’t sure. He’s been having to have me take him back and forth to work for the past two weekends, and next weekend isn’t looking so good, either.
  • Friday as I was coming home from dropping him off at work, the Beetle’s oil light began flashing. I had to stop at a store which, as it turns out, was right across the street from where someone got shot Tuesday. Luckily, I was able to just put oil in it and that took care of it, though it’s getting serviced next week.
  • Last night, my youngest son’s van ran hot. Thank goodness it just needed a top-off of coolant, but he thinks there might be a slow leak somewhere and is looking into getting it fixed ASAP.

Can we be done with car trouble now, pretty please? On that note, I am done with Subaru, and definitely done with any vehicle that has a CV transmission. Fuck CVTs, for real. And? I will absolutely have a stroke if our run of bad luck doesn’t stop. It’s screwed me up and stressed me out to the point where I could barely function the first week after I learned I’d need to fork over more than a grand for a used transmission. I would break down sobbing without warning, couldn’t sleep at night, and when I did I had the most stressful dreams. Even though I was awake – a LOT – I couldn’t keep my thoughts or emotions straight, and thus my absence here. All that to say that…

The good

• I have spent many, many mindless hours binge-watching some great shows, namely Velvet and Velvet Coleccion. I don’t understand much Spanish, but since I’m nearly deaf I have to have the captions anyway – so I was able to still follow along! It was like Mad Men, but with fashion and set in Spain instead of advertising and set in New York City. Visually stunning.
  • On the 22nd, The Dirt came out, and since then I’ve been watching this movie like it’s my job and the rent is past due! Here is my review in a nutshell: I was worried this was going to be a huge shit show, but I’m so glad I was wrong. The kid they got to play Nikki was absolutely gorgeous! Machine Gun Kelly was fantastic as Tommy Lee, and congrats, MGK, for you are my cougar crush for at least the next few weeks! I may have been in love with Nikki in real life from ages 13-20, but Mick was my favorite character in the movie. ALL the actors (not just the ones who played the band) portrayed their characters perfectly. Having said that, I wish they had done more to make “Vince” look like Vince. That guy was a great actor, but all I saw when I watched him was Dana Carvey as Garth in Wayne’s World. Lastly, whatever their manager made off them, it wasn’t enough.Have you seen The Dirt yet? What are your thoughts?
  • I have decided that after over 20 years without a car payment, I am trading this Subaru in on something as soon as I can. I no longer have any confidence in this car, but I poured all the money I had into just buying, and now fixing, it. So….I’m a bit stressed out about that, but I will be buying the newest Toyota, Honda, or Mazda I can afford, with the fewest miles I can find, and NO CVT TRANSMISSION!!

Now…into a new month, and onto this week’s theme for Monday’s Music Moves Me over at Dolly’s and Cathy’s, brought to you by none other than ME!

‘April showers bring May flowers’ (songs about spring, rain, flowers, or even actual showers where you get clean. Do your thang with it!)

We all know how much I love rain! Here are three of my favorite songs about rain/with “rain” in the title:

Queensryche – “Another Rainy Night”

Supertramp – “It’s Raining Again”

Led Zeppelin – “Fool In The Rain”

I can’t wait to see the selections everyone else chose! And I hope April is nowhere near as stressful as March was. Have a great week, people!

March Wrap-Up and Music Monday for 04.01.2019

14 thoughts on “March Wrap-Up and Music Monday for 04.01.2019

• April 1, 2019 at 5:49 AM

Welcome to the dance floor as this month’s honorary co-host, my friend! So sorry to hear about your car problems. Those certainly aren’t fun and we went through our share of them beginning at the end of last November running through mid-December. You might recall that we had to buy a car (Toyota Avalon) on the spur of the moment when our ’03 Camry died which was long ago paid off and without a car payment for 12 years. I’m thankful we are in a place where it’s not going to kill us too bad but it’s still a pain in the side. Best of luck in your car search.

Supertramp ‘It’s Raining Again’ is a song I haven’t heard in a while. Thanks for sharing some great mewsic and stirring some old memories.

In addition to dancing with me, I hope y’all will find time to check out my Little Mermaid Art Sketch series beginning with ARIEL.

Have a boogietastic week and look for my 4M post on Sunday!

• April 1, 2019 at 8:38 PM

Sure thing, Cathy! (About checking out the sketches. I really wanted to try out A-Z, but just didn’t have it in me this time around. Way too much other, un-fun stuff going on.) Car troubles are indeed the worst. I’m ready to have a better month….and I’m glad you liked my Supertramp selection! I hadn’t heard it in many years, either.

• April 1, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Glad to have made the introduction, Driller! I love hearing new tunes. They may not always be my cup o’tea, but you never know until you try.

• April 1, 2019 at 9:28 AM

Great songs and a great theme. Hope that you get your car troubles behind you. Thanks for the great dance.

• April 1, 2019 at 8:55 PM

Thank you; I hope the car troubles are well behind me, too. I wasn’t kidding about the stroke – though an ulcer is more likely. Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed playing along.

• April 1, 2019 at 9:12 PM

Thanks, Mary! I am glad you enjoyed the theme and Supertramp….I hadn’t heard that in forever and HAD to share it! I am so ready for a better month.

• April 1, 2019 at 2:48 PM

Great theme, and I like the songs you chose, particularly “It’s raining Again.”

• April 1, 2019 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for coming by! That song’s been pretty popular here today, and that makes me so happy. It had been ages since I heard it, but I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes it!

• April 1, 2019 at 2:59 PM

Goodness! It’s funny how you forget all these songs then when prompted, you automatically remember all the words! #MusicMovesMe (and car troubles are the worst!)

• April 1, 2019 at 9:39 PM

Oh, car troubles are absolutely the worst. They’re usually always expensive and time-consuming and gut-wrenching.

Thank you for stopping by! I am always astounded at the number of songs and artists I’ve “forgotten” about, until prompted.

• April 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Three great songs. I own the Supertramp CD “Classics” which has the It’s Raining Again song (I like almost everything by them I’ve ever heard) and I had “Breakfast in America” back in the LP Album days. I run hot and cold on Queensryche but I like that song but….you have made my husband’s day with Fool in the Rain. My desktop is still not working (long long story and the fix didn’t quite work) so I am down here listening on my 6 1/2 year old laptop while he putters around. I’m sorry for your transmission problems – we depend so much on our cars.

• April 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM

April with you as an honorary co-host is going to be fabulous – car troubles aside. 😉 Speaking of which, I’m so sorry you’re having such a horrendous run of bad luck with your cars! I hate when they start to nickel-and-dime you to death. I had a car like that once, and it was awful. Transmission issues are no joke, that’s for sure! One of the reasons, when I got my most recent car, I decided to go back to manual transmission was because reviews on many automatic transmission vehicles were always bad – maybe they were cvt (I had to google that to figure out what the heck you were talking about! LOL!) I ended up going through CarMax to get my most recent vehicle – I did all the research prior to know what to expect from my trade-in and to make sure there were no hidden costs on the car I wanted to buy, and secured a private low-interest loan to cover tax/license/title which worked out perfect (meaning, after many many years of not having a car payment, having a monthly payment of around $100 a month is way more doable than a ‘typical’ traditional car payment 3 or 4 times that amount). Here’s hoping you find a screaming good deal on a *reliable* car!

GREAT music choices! This was a fun theme – thanks for that! 🙂 And thanks for the dance! 🙂