Music Monday for 02.18.2019

It is time once again for Music Monday! The theme this week over at Dolly’s comes to us once again from Cathy at Curious As A Cathy. Since today is National Battery Day, Cathy has chosen that as the theme for our song selections using the words “smoke”, “alarm”, “battery”, and “charge”. Let’s see where I can go with this!

I do love me some 70s glam rock, so to start us off, here’s Marc Bolan (T. Rex) with “Depth Charge”. Definitely more funky than glam rock-ish (to me), but still groovy and very listenable!

Marc Bolan – “Depth Charge”

Next up, the word “battery”, and a song I have a feeling has appeared on quite a few lists already:

Metallica – “Battery” I’m not a huge Metallica fan, especially since Jason’s departure. But this song was recorded before I became so disillusioned with them. Ah, who am I kidding? I may not respect Metallica as people, but I do still love their music. And in case you don’t like heavy songs, this one is pretty heavy.

Now, for “alarm”, I have bucked suggestion (mainly because I couldn’t find anything I liked with “alarm” in the title, and couldn’t narrow one down with that word in the lyrics) and just used a song from a band called The Alarm, and boy does it bring back some 80s memories.

The Alarm – “Rain In The Summertime”

Now, for “smoke”, I wanted to save the best for last.

Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson – “Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die”
I’m not condoning smoking, but this song is from a kick-ass set of artists, and we’re all adults here so we should be able to either still enjoy the song, or say “not for me” and move on without listening. But come on, you have to admit it’s totally appropriate for Willie Nelson!

Happy Music Monday-ing, and be sure to head to Dolly’s or Cathy’s to see what everyone else came up with for this really unique and somewhat challenging theme! You might even want to play along yourself.

Music Monday for 02.18.2019

7 thoughts on “Music Monday for 02.18.2019

• February 19, 2019 at 5:55 AM

You introduced me to two new songs in your playset. Marc Bolan and The Alarm. ‘Rain in the Summertime’ peaked at #71 in January 1988. I certainly do not remember it but then I was prego with DD#1. I guess I can blame that on a “Mommy Brain Syndrome”. That Nelson song title cracks me up. I heard it for the first time at another blogger’s site this morning. lol Thanks for sharing the dance floor with me and feel free to shoot your themes for April to me anytime. Have a boogietastic week, deari!

• February 19, 2019 at 5:07 PM

I remember Mommy Brain all too well. I was pregnant and kept trying to jam my key into the door of a car that looked just liked mine. I only stopped when I noticed my toddler’s car seat wasn’t in the back seat like it should have been. I’m glad the owner of the lookalike car didn’t bust me, LOL!

• February 19, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Nice workaround for the “alarm” thing, and it’s good to hear the late Marc Bolan again. I’ll bet the artists who did “Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die” probably did a lot of rolling and smoking before they recorded that…

• February 19, 2019 at 5:04 PM

Oh, you know they did! Snoop and Willie are out and proud stoners, I figured Jamey for one, but Kristofferson? I always took him for a hard liquor and hard drugs guy, even though I haven’t read anything at all that would lead me to believe that. But yeah, I can definitely see him smoking, too.

• February 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Mark Bolan – (unlike T Rex) new to me. The Alarm – I know 68 Guns but that’s about it. Metallica – my husband and son both love love love them. And the Willie Nelson song – I laughed and laughed and trust me, I wasn’t anywhere near stoned. It was just a funny, funny song. Thank you for introducing me to three new songs. Well done, well done!
    Alana recently posted…Winter Rainbow #SkywatchFridayMy Profile

• February 23, 2019 at 9:53 PM

Wow, what great selections! I love Marc Bolan as he sounds like something similar to the discographies of later John Lennon and David Bowie. And I love The Alarm! It reminds me of U2 and Go West.

• February 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM

I can always count on you to make some great introductions, Kim! Thanks so much for the dance! 🙂