Music Monday for 02.11.19

This week is a freebie week over at Dolly’s; therefore I have for your consideration three songs of my choosing. And they all come from bands whose names start with the letter G! (I promise it’s an unintentional “theme”, though.)

My favorite bands of 2018 were Ghost and Greta Van Fleet, so here are the latest tracks from their latest albums, respectively:

Ghost – “Dance Macabre” This video has it all…it looks like an homage to 80s and 70s horror and fitness (that dance routine? I’m pretty sure I’ve done that workout at some point!), and is very reminiscent of early Scorpions to boot. But I know people don’t like comparisons, so I’ll let you be the judge of that.

Greta Van Fleet – “You’re The One” This seems to still be a pretty divisive band – a lot of love for them, but I’ve come to find a lot of people I thought would at least like them hate them. As for me, I still love them! I know they get compared constantly to a LEGENDARY rock band like, all the time. And I get it. But I also get wisps and snatches and hints of so many other fantastic rock bands, and I think a lot of people probably aren’t able to get past the comparisons to the LEGENDS to properly appreciate their music. Not true of all the haters, of course, but I feel like the comparison has both helped AND harmed them. Here is their latest, as performed on a fairly recent episode of SNL:

The Glorious Sons – “S.O.S. (Sawed Off Shotgun)” I don’t know much about this band other than that they are from Canada and enjoying some pretty decent success with their latest song, which according to their Wikipedia page, is from an album released in 2017. And also according to that same Wikipedia page, they toured in 2017 with Greta Van Fleet. Now that’s a show I would have liked to see! This song’s been getting a lot of rotation on our local rock station and it’s really catchy. That means I’m going to have to do some more investigating and see if the rest of their music is as good as this. I haven’t heard any comparisons, but this song in particular song sounds to me like they were inspired instrumentally by the Foo Fighters and vocally by Sublime. Just me? I know there’s more going on (namely their own sound), but I definitely want to go back and find out who some of their influences were.

Head on over to Dolly’s to see what music some other people are listening to this week, or to participate for yourself!

Music Monday for 02.11.19

17 thoughts on “Music Monday for 02.11.19

• February 11, 2019 at 12:49 AM

Thought I’d rush over & let you know I have fixed my blog & thank you so much for coming by early & letting me know! Dang, I hate when that happens… Now your place totally rocks & no mistakes like mine! ~hehehe~ Luvin’ your pickins’ here & but I’m afraid I’ve never heard them before. I must say I really like the last song & it really reminds me of another tune, but I cannot put my finger on it…. I’ll get it though… hmmmmmmmm YOU HAVE ROCKED THE HOUSE & thanks for rockin’ along with us… THANKS AGAIN! HUGS!
    Marie Moody recently posted…Monday’s Music Moves Me!My Profile

• February 11, 2019 at 4:42 PM

Yay! I will head back over to listen to the tunes! Glad to introduce you to some new music over here 🙂

• February 11, 2019 at 5:14 AM

I often try to find a theme for ‘your choice song picks’ week. That’s interesting that you weren’t setting out to do that but wound up doing it. Maybe it was a subconscious thingy. These are all new introductions (bands & songs) so I greatly appreciated the new ear candy. Do you know what you ought to consider? Why not fill in as March’s 4M co-host? We’d love to have you on board if you’re up to it but if not that’s okay, too. 🙂 Thanks for sharing the dance floor and I hope you have a boogietastic week, my friend!
    Cathy Kennedy recently posted…XOXO and lots of ❤️ to my valentine!My Profile

• February 11, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Cathy, I would love to pick some themes for March…just let me know how I can get on that! I always come up with some and then forget about them when I don’t use them. I have a pretty cool one on standby for a post of mine, but I would gladly share if I get to co-host some month!

• February 11, 2019 at 7:20 AM

Thanks for the songs, I didn’t know any of these. I have to say Ghost is my favorite!

• February 11, 2019 at 4:46 PM

I am so happy to introduce some new music….and don’t tell the other bands or anything, but Ghost is my favorite, too!

• February 11, 2019 at 4:47 PM

Hahaha, you probably did, and I probably did, and THEY probably did! They condensed it down to about 30 seconds total, though, so pretty impressive.

• February 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Thank you, Patrick; I hope you have a wonderful week as well!

• February 11, 2019 at 5:03 PM

I liked all three of these but couldn’t stand to watch that Greta Van Fleet singer. The start of Ghost reminded me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

• February 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM

The Greta Van Fleet kid doesn’t look all that comfortable in front of a crowd, but I do love his voice! And I was thinking the same thing about the beginning of the Ghost vid….also thought I saw some other “inspiration” in there as well, but the beginning definitely seems influenced by RHPS.

• February 14, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Thanks for stopping by; glad you were able to hear some new music!

• February 16, 2019 at 4:34 PM

Well, DANG! First, I have to admit I have a (sort of) crush on Josh Kiszka of Greta Van Fleet; when I first heard “Highway Tune” I don’t know if I, or my husband (who is a huge Led Zepplin fan) was more excited. His face and his voice don’t match up (hard to describe what I mean) but…that voice! Can you have a crush on a voice? I love Ghost as far as music; as someone not into horror (except for zombies) I’m wishy-washy on their videos. But I can’t believe their Rats didn’t win a Grammy…don’t get me started. As for the Glorious Sons Songs, SOS is the only one I know and despite what the topic of the song is about, it is so catchy…so, so catchy! Great selections!

• February 17, 2019 at 9:31 PM

I feel you on Ghost not winning that Grammy! I am so disappointed, and disappointed FOR them. Yet, am happy for GVF. I totally know what you mean about crushing on a voice. I have crushed on a few, not having any idea what the singer looked like. And I have had ideas in my head before of what singers looked like just from hearing their voice (Chris Stapleton and Jamey Johnson looked pretty much exactly like I thought they would), but you are so correct about Josh Kiszka’s voice not matching his face. Or looks, at all, to me. I have a feeling I’ll come to associate his voice with his face a lot more as the years pass.