Music Monday for 2.4.2019

Hello, Music Monday-ers/4M-ers! I’m late to the party as usual since I went out of town this weekend. I really enjoyed the trip – driving the still new-to-me car, four hours of listening to music and podcasts, and of course, visiting my parents!

It was unseasonably warm here for February, so it was a great day for a light sweater, my favorite jeans, and some Sperry loafers:

Even the chickens were out wandering about:

It was a great visit, and I can’t wait for warmer weather for real!

This week, I am returning to Monday’s Music Moves Me. Yay! I thought I’d only been gone for a short while, but a look into my archives tells me the last time I participated in this hop was three months ago! Wow. I know it’s been a while and I’m a day late to boot, but I don’t want to wait any longer. I am happy to be back!

So, this week’s theme over at Dolly’s comes to us via Cathy at Curious As A Cathy, who used in the National Day Calendar for inspiration – and today’s words are “mail,” “soup,” and “vacuum”, to be used either the song title and/or lyrics. I don’t want to veer completely off track, but I *am* doing a loose interpretation of the words. You’ll see.

First up is “mail”. What do you mail? A letter!

Living Color – “Open Letter to a Landlord”

Living Color was one of my absolute favorite bands of the early 90s, and one of my biggest regrets has been not seeing them live. I never had the opportunity, but I still hate that. Lucky for me, I can put them back on my bucket list of bands to see, because according to their Wikipedia page, they are still together. Hopefully that means they’ll tour again someday!

Next up is “soup”. Stew is like soup, right?

Green Day – “Brain Stew/Jaded”

Green Day have long been a band on my bucket list of bands to see, and I *FINALLY* got to see them in March of 2017.

Now we’ve come to “vacuum”, and this one presented more of a challenge. There are apparently a good many songs with lyrics referencing the word “vacuum” and even some titles. With so many to choose from, I was actually able to pull one from another favorite band and spare you all a black metal selection (also from a band I like a lot, but I realize that’s an acquired taste!)

Pearl Jam – “Comatose”

This song’s lyrics reference “vacuum” in two verses: in the first, “put me in a vacuum” and in the second, “leave me in my vacuum”.

Be sure to head over to Dolly’s or to Curious As A Cathy to see what some of the other participants have come up with, or to play along yourself!

Music Monday for 2.4.2019

9 thoughts on “Music Monday for 2.4.2019

• February 5, 2019 at 6:32 AM

I’m happy to report that your song picks are all new-to-me and interesting songs. Pearl Jam was a bit too much for my ears at this early hour of the morning. lol Living Colour is a band I’m not familiar with but I’m digging their sound in this song feature. You did a furtastic job on your choices. Have a boogietastic week, dearie. Next week is ‘your choice song picks’, so go crazy and hit the dance floor with mewsic that moves you!

• February 5, 2019 at 6:29 PM

Oh, it is indeed heavy! I’m okay with it early in the morning, though, because I need to wake myself up! I’m already off to a boogietastic week, thanks! I just hope my energy and motivation don’t leave me before I get a chance to do some much-needed stuff in my home this weekend.

• February 5, 2019 at 6:45 PM

Hi Kim. I too have had a lifelong love of Pearl Jam. I was lucky enough to see them way back in 1996. Wow that sounds like a lifetime ago. I also had the Living Colour album. You are bringing back lots of fond memories. Whatever happened to them?

• February 5, 2019 at 7:19 PM

According to their Wikipedia page, they broke up, then got back together in 2001 and did some small-scale touring and released music. They released something as recently as 2014, but I never heard it. I think they do have some new members now, but if I’m not mistaken, Vernon Reid and Corey Glover are still in the band.

I am so jealous that you got to see Pearl Jam! I’ve never been able to see them, either, and they are also on the bucket list. But at least they still tour, so there may still be an opportunity for me to see them.

• February 7, 2019 at 5:55 PM

Living Colour – all I knew was Cult of Personality and I just dug that song, so new to me – the Pearl Jam song was also new to me although the band, of course, isn’t. (not sure why they decided not to let the song play on your website. Hate when that happens!) As far as Green Day – that song I knew. I’ve seen none of these in concert (I rarely go to concerts) but I will say, this was a nice set!

• February 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM

I haven’t been to any concerts in ages, either. This is the year I need to change that. I guess I just go through stages where I get to really live it up, and stages where I’m forced to keep myself at home. ‘Tis life. I’m glad you were able to discover some new-to-you music here!
      Kim recently posted…Music Monday for 2.4.2019My Profile

• February 10, 2019 at 5:27 PM

So great to see you on the dance floor again, Kim! You’ve been missed! 🙂 Great song choices – thanks for the introductions! 😉

• February 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Always glad to introduce some new music selections!

• February 19, 2019 at 7:08 PM

So glad you are back early!
    You did a great job with these selections.
    Aloha!