Writer’s Workshop: Summer’s Greatest Hits
Here I am, (currently) bringing up the rear in this week’s Writer’s Workshop. What can I say? I seem to have a talent for it!
I lamented in last week’s Writer’s Workshop post about how awful this summer has been – and that is no lie. But I would be lying if I said there weren’t some really great moments in there, too. So the prompt I chose for this week’s Writer’s Workshop is “Highlight 10 favorite summer moments so far.”
For all intents and purposes, I consider summer from May till October, since it’s really warm, then really hot, then really warm again from May till October. My “moments” are probably going to be atypical, though, because I don’t have school-aged children to focus on for summer activities. And I’ve been at least partially voluntarily laying low because of the unbelievable amount of bad that has gone down this summer. But I do take my zen moments when and where I can, so here they are:
- Visits with family. I didn’t get to visit as often as I’d like, but I was so glad to be able to make a trip or two home to visit family. I treasure time with my Mom so, so much. She’s my inspiration, rock, and best friend. And after my Dad passed last year, I became determined to make visits home more often. (FYI, they were divorced – but I am so lucky to have been able to come home often to spend time with Dad in his final months, and that really motivated me to try to get home to visit Mom as often as I possibly can. We’re all in good health, but none of us are getting any younger. Time is important!) I do love my #lakelife moments!
- Summer storms. Whether gentle and calming or wild, windy, and wonderful, this season’s few-and-far-between storms have been a balm to my soul.
- Summer fireflies. We had so, so many this year! This video is only a small sampling of the live twinkling lights experienced this summer. (If you listen, pay no mind to the background noise – I live on a busy road, and you can really hear it!)
View this post on Instagram
My back yard is such a peaceful, magical place sometimes. (I didn’t even notice the traffic sounds.) Early #evening, gentle #rain, a bit of thunder and lightning. And so. many. #fireflies! #rural #huntsville #alabama #madisoncountyal #tennesseevalley #summer2018 #lovesummer #summernights
- Bringing Mom’s vintage stereo home. This stereo is around 50 years old, and one of the first things my Mom bought herself when she moved out on her own. It came to live with my grandparents in the early 80s, after Mom divorced and downsized. I’ve had my eye on it for many years, and am so happy to have it home with me!
View this post on Instagram
At my Grandmother’s picking up my Mom’s #vintage #Emerson #stereophonic #consolestereo. Top: #turntable and #radio. Middle: after a quick dusting. Bottom: just hauled to the front porch and covered in dust. She still needs a more thorough cleaning, but isn’t she a beauty? At least fifty years old according to Mom. I am so honored to have it as mine now. ❤️ #midcentury #midcenturymodern #1960s
- Learning how to fix a few things on my car myself. One of my brake lights went out in the Beetle. I went directly to the forums at NewBeetle.Org to learn how to fix this myself. I messed up and broke my taillight assembly, which necessitated a trip to the local pull and pay yard. But I didn’t mess up again, and can say “I DID IT MYSELF, Y’ALL!” Also: I scored a rear tonneau cover and replacement front hood emblem. I also learned how to fix my AC/Heat problem, but waited till it was too hot to try it. Now I plan to try to fix it when we have highs in the 70s or lower 80s, whenever that rolls around.
- Netflix (et al.) bingeing. 13 Reasons Why, Glow, The Handmaid’s Tale, Shameless, Life Sentence, Insatiable, The O.C., Southland, and probably a few more I’m forgetting. Also, can’t binge just yet, but I’ve really been enjoying the first season of Take Two.
- Car shopping. Despite my complaints about spending the summer in this infernal heat in a car without ac for a 30 minute one way commute, I did it that way so I can get the best possible deal on a replacement for the RAV4. I still haven’t really set a budget, but I am in what I consider the “window shopping” phase of car shopping. My top contenders are: another RAV4, Honda CRV, Jeep Renegade, Subaru Crosstrek (or Impreza wagon), Honda Fit, Nissan Versa Note, or Nissan Juke. Maybe the Hyundai Veloster. I’m looking at a LOT, I know, but I’m trying to give myself options. I’m just pretty sure I don’t want a minivan, sports car, truck, large SUV, or sedan. Then again? I’m very lucky to be able to (eventually) get a replacement, and will be thankful for whatever that happens to be!
- New hairstyle. I went from REALLY long (top, in winter) to pretty short this summer. I’m still loving the change!
- My annual summer shark movie fix. My little family and I cleared an afternoon together to go see The Meg. We all loved it!
Oh, and if I ever build a pool? I am totally having a giant shark face with a gaping, toothy, wide-open mouth painted on the bottom of it! That way, I can swim with a shark with zero risk of it eating me.
- A sneak peek at fall.