2017: The Year in Review
Ah, 2017. It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. So much joyous good. So much heart-wrenching sad. So much gut-wrenching bad. I honestly won’t be sorry to see the year go, and I am really hoping (and will also be working toward) a better 2018.
- I got to make many trips to my childhood home(s) to visit with family, recharge my batteries, and make more good memories to carry with me for the rest of my life.
- I got to bring home some treasured family heirlooms to use for many years to come in my own home.
- I got to replace my 15 year old Beetle whose heat and air had stopped working with a barely six-year old Rav4 with under 75K on the odometer. And working heat and AC. I do still have my Beetle, though, and that’s a good thing. My sons’ cars are currently in need of varying stages of repair, so they are driving my Rav to their jobs at the moment (Beetle is a stick and my sons aren’t entirely comfortable with a stick. But I *LOVE* it – other than the being cold or hot part!).
- This adorable baby boy came to live with us in June:
Everyone meet Aristotle the #pitmixpup, the newest member of our family, zonked out after a day of aggravating his older sisters 😀 He is so smart and adorable! And before anyone says anything, yes, I am aware that he's fat. And no, he isn't being fed over the daily recommended amount of food for his weight. That's all going to be muscle once he hits a growth spurt, anyway! #pitsofinstagram #pitbullsofinstagram #pitpuppy #pitmix #pitmixesofinstagram #dogstagram #pupstagram #puppy #blep #tired #aristotlethepitpup
He’s weighing in at almost 60 pounds now. This is one of the more recent pics I have of him; he doesn’t like sitting still:
- I got to go to so many concerts this year. The most I’ve seen in six years! It was a much needed reprieve from the insanity that ensued at most other times.
- In addition to being a great year for music, it was also a great year for hunting, gathering, catching, and releasing vintage treasures.
Of course, I can’t even go there with the bad. Mostly because I don’t want to relive any of it, and partly because I don’t want to put the negativity out there in the universe. Yes, I am definitely trying to law-of-attraction my way into a better existence this coming year, and reliving the bad things that happened this year are in no way going to be conducive to that.
But the single most important thing that happened to me this year was the passing of my sweet Daddy. Of course, not a single day goes by that I don’t think about him and wish he was still here with us. This was my Stepmom’s first anniversary without him, my first birthday without him, and our family’s first holidays without him. It’s hard to believe at this time last year that he was still doing fairly well and hadn’t yet started the rapid decline in health and frequent hospital stays. This Daddy’s girl still misses her Daddy every day. But he was full of really good advice, and I plan to continue to heed it as best I can.
What was your 2017 like?