Music Monday – One Hit Wonders

Today is a real treat over at Dolly’s; the theme for Monday’s Music Moves Me is “One Hit Wonders from when you were in High School”.

Photo Credit: gotnolove.deviantart.com

I was in high school from the mid-to-late ’80s, and there was no shortage of one-hit wonders during that time. But for me, Hair Metal was king. While I’m taking creative liberties here, I’m not really sure they can be called one-hit wonders. For one thing, these weren’t mainstream hits. The videos were probably only ever seen on Headbanger’s Ball. And these may not be their only “hits” – meaning, the bands may have had more songs, but songs that were mainly popular among Hair Metal fans. And what’s worse is that all my truly favorite Hair Metal one-hit wonders came out in ’89 or later, the year following my high school graduation.

But I managed to find a few from my high school years, and here they are…

Song(s) For Monday:

Autograph – “Turn Up The Radio”

Yngwie J. Malmsteen – “Heaven Tonight”

Lillian Axe – “Dream of a Lifetime”

Manowar – “Blow Your Speakers”

This was harder than I thought! What are some of your favorite one-hit wonders of your high school years?

Music Monday – One Hit Wonders

15 thoughts on “Music Monday – One Hit Wonders

• November 13, 2017 at 12:31 AM

Wow! You surely grew up during the metal times is right! Girlfriend you have rocked the house! Thanks for joining us! Have a rockin’ week!

• November 13, 2017 at 6:41 AM

Big hair and hair bands! I’m afraid I do not remember any of these but that’s because I wasn’t really a “hair band” fan. But many of the groups really could sing and by far blow the bands of today away! I betcha these band members don’t have that kind of hair anymore. 🙂 I will say this the gals from the 80s were just dang purrty! Thanks for sharing the dance floor with the 4M crew, my friend. Have a tunetastical day! 😉

• November 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM

We were definitely purrty! And I’d be surprised if some of these band members even still have hair at all. But you are right, a lot of them don’t have hair like that anymore. And thank goodness! I don’t know what we were thinking in the late ’80s, or why we thought big, wild hair was hot!

• November 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Very nice songs. We went to high school in about the same the time. I remember all the metal bands of the era and saw a bunch live. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

• November 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM

I feel lucky to have been able to see a bunch live, too. By today’s standards, that’s not much. But for back then, and as far away as I was from the nearest big city to have concerts, it was a lot.

• November 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM

You definitely got a new line up for me!
    Thanks for rocking!

• November 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Yngwie is a tremendous player. It took a while for me to get into him because he came off as a bit of an ass in his early interviews, but he’s grown up since then… good set!

• November 13, 2017 at 6:48 PM

I never even read any of his interviews, but I have always heard about him being an ass. I liked his music, but I wouldn’t have wanted to know him as a person.

• November 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM

I think we were in high school around the same time, but our taste in music was probably a little different. BUT I totally remember Turn up the Radio because I loved roller skating to that song!

• November 14, 2017 at 11:05 PM

I was in high school from 1984-1988. The weird and wonderful 80s were a great time to be alive!

My musical tastes run the gamut, but I’ve always liked at least some genres that no one else likes.

• November 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM

I’m a child of the 50’s and 60’s, but I did enjoy what many call “hair bands”. Of your set, I knew Autograph and Manowar. Guess two out of four isn’t bad – and I hadn’t heard either of those songs in years. Thank you for letting me rock out!

• November 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Thank you! I thought so. Though I’m not really sure they could be considered true one-hit wonders, I felt it was close enough!